Today we’re joined by Sonja Herbert. Sonja lives in New York where she is a pilates instructor, writer, speaker, competitive powerlifter and a former social worker. She is the founder of Commando Fitness Collective and the Black Girl Pilates community on Instagram and Facebook.
Sonja is committed to Black female representation in fitness, as well as improving the health and wellness in the Black community through writing, speaking and curating health and wellness events for Black women. She is comprehensively certified in Pilates, and also holds TRX Level 1 and Kettlebell Concepts Level 1 certifications.
In This Episode We Talk About:
- The importance of Black female representation in fitness.
- Speaking out against racism in the fitness space.
- Diversifying the Pilates space.
- Creating safe spaces for Black women in fitness.
- Follow Sonja on Instagram: @commandofitnesscollective
- Follow Black Girl Pilates on Instagram: @blackgirlpilates
- Black Girl Pilates Instructor Only Facebook Group
- Black Girl Pilates Community Group
- Sonja for Girls Gone Strong: Black Girl Pilates – My Catalyst for Strength
- Sonja for Self Magazine: No, My Black Girl Pilates Group Isn’t Racist – It’s an Essential Way to Feel Represented in the Community
If you like this episode, please leave a rating and review on iTunes. Keep in touch with Les on Instagram @balancedles, follow the show @balancedblackgirlpodcast, and join the Balanced Black Girl Podcast Community on Facebook.
Lestraundra is the founder of Balanced Black Girl and the host of the Balanced Black Girl Podcast. She’s a Certified Personal Trainer, Nutrition Coach, and natural beauty junkie who loves 90’s R&B, trying new skincare products, and creating recipes in the Instant Pot. She created Balanced Black Girl to provide content and experiences empowering women of color to live well.