Today we’re joined by Sonja Herbert. Sonja lives in New York where she is a pilates instructor, writer, speaker, competitive powerlifter and a former social worker. She is the founder of Commando Fitness Collective and the Black Girl Pilates community on Instagram and Facebook.
Sonja is committed to Black female representation in fitness, as well as improving the health and wellness in the Black community through writing, speaking and curating health and wellness events for Black women. She is comprehensively certified in Pilates, and also holds TRX Level 1 and Kettlebell Concepts Level 1 certifications.
In This Episode We Talk About:
- The importance of Black female representation in fitness.
- Speaking out against racism in the fitness space.
- Diversifying the Pilates space.
- Creating safe spaces for Black women in fitness.
LISTEN HERE: Apple Podcasts | Spotify | Stitcher | Google Play
- Follow Sonja on Instagram: @commandofitnesscollective
- Follow Black Girl Pilates on Instagram: @blackgirlpilates
- Black Girl Pilates Instructor Only Facebook Group
- Black Girl Pilates Community Group
- Sonja for Girls Gone Strong: Black Girl Pilates – My Catalyst for Strength
- Sonja for Self Magazine: No, My Black Girl Pilates Group Isn’t Racist – It’s an Essential Way to Feel Represented in the Community
If you like this episode, please leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Keep in touch with Les on Instagram @balancedles, follow the show @balancedblackgirlpodcast.