This week’s episode of Balanced Black Girl is a solo episode, talking about being pretty…for a black girl.
This “compliment” is problematic and back-handed at best, yet is, unfortunately, a statement many women of color are familiar with being on the receiving end of.
In this episode, I’m breaking down what people are actually saying with this statement, why our standards of beauty must change and become more inclusive, and what we can all do to take matters into our own hands when it comes to redefining beauty.
In this episode:
- The problem with “Pretty for a “___“ (fill in the blank).
- Why a mixed appearance and proximity to whiteness isn’t the end-all-be-all beauty standard for black women.
- Why we are beautiful BECAUSE of our heritage – not IN SPITE OF it.
- How we can redefine beauty to be more inclusive.
- How we can have more compassion for ourselves and others when it comes to appearance.
Powered by RedCircle